sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2017 11:37 pm  #1

Main studio R.I.P? (USA)

FCC has a proposal. Eliminate the main studio rule. 
Source: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/117952/fcc-proposes-eliminating-main-studio-rule/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 18, 2017 11:39 pm  #2

Re: Main studio R.I.P? (USA)

Bad idea jeans.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

May 19, 2017 1:55 pm  #3

I'm not crazy about the idea, either. If you're going to serve a city of licence, the least you can do is set up shop there. Hard to be involved in the community if you're not actually in the community. 

Anyone remember when stations in the U.S. used to have to announce their studio-to-transmitter link, usually at midnight? I always wondered why. It couldn't mean anything at all to the listener and seemed like a pointless bureaucratic exercise. Anyway, at some point that disappeared since I never hear it anymore.

(In fact, on some American stations using imaging or branding like "X-97.3," "Rock 102" or "Power 106," I almost never hear actual call letters anymore, either. That's a shame, because there are a million cookie cutter formats with the same names. But call letters are the one thing they have that's unique to each station.)    

May 19, 2017 2:37 pm  #4

The first thing that popped into my head was WTOR in Youngstown, NY serving Toronto.

But what exactly is meant by "studio", anyway?  A live mic and way to get its signal to the transmitter should suffice, no?

May 19, 2017 5:40 pm  #5

Isn't this a bit of a soil shaker? 
What happens to border towns? 
Will it matter if a station is broadcasting from Canada or USA? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.