sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2017 9:23 am  #1

Is This New Toronto Star Job Partially A Reaction To Donald Trump?

The Toronto Star already has all kinds of reporters covering specific beats - transportation, education, politics and more. In that, they're no different from many dailies. But now they're looking to hire someone to cover territory I'm not sure would ever have surfaced had The Big Orange One not been elected POTUS. But then again, our own shining examples at Queen's Park and Ottawa appear to be inspirations, as well.

Which may be why they've officially posted a job listing for a brand new position: "Democracy Reporter."

"The assignment will focus on electoral and senate reform, as well as ideas, policies, technology and tools to aid democratic innovation. It will help inform the public about promising policies, campaigns and strategies for an equitable, representative, and vibrant democracy. 

The Democracy Reporter will look for ideas, experiments and solutions from inside Canada and around the world to address issues such as how to reduce the democratic deficit; engage those who are turned off by current politics or feel they have no voice; identify forces behind low voter turnout and disillusionment with the current democratic process; promote civic literacy and civic engagement. 

This beat will focus on levers government can use to transform democracy, and identify and explain ways to make government more transparent and accountable."

Whoever they pick for this spot, I hope they arrive at their decision democratically! Although it's interesting to note that it's listed as a one year position - with the possibility of an extension.  You can see the posting here. 

May 10, 2017 11:39 am  #2

Re: Is This New Toronto Star Job Partially A Reaction To Donald Trump?

"Journalists shouldn't become the news" - Kathy English

May 10, 2017 6:00 pm  #3

The problem with the Toronto star is that they somehow think people are willing to pay $3 for a newspaper on the week-end and too much money during the week.
Bring the price down to $2 Saturday (including TV guide/entertainment magazine) and 50 cents Sundays and week days.
The profit will return.

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 10, 2017 6:01 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 11, 2017 6:34 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

Bring the price down to $2 Saturday (including TV guide/entertainment magazine) and 50 cents Sundays and week days.    The profit will return.

Happy capitalism

May 11, 2017 7:59 am  #5

Kilgore wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Bring the price down to $2 Saturday (including TV guide/entertainment magazine) and 50 cents Sundays and week days.    The profit will return.

Happy capitalism

Sometimes the price has to come down to be more profitable. 
The sooner the Toronto Star realizes this, the better. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 12, 2017 10:11 am  #6

Charlie wrote:

quality journalism is vital to a free, informed society  

So true, but . . . 

May 12, 2017 5:26 pm  #7

The Star is fighting back against "fake news" with its new "Trust Initiative."

My guess? Those who think fake news is real (as oxymoronic as that sounds) won't believe them no matter what they do, 

May 12, 2017 6:23 pm  #8

Charlie wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

The problem with the Toronto star is that they somehow think people are willing to pay $3 for a newspaper on the week-end and too much money during the week.
Bring the price down to $2 Saturday (including TV guide/entertainment magazine) and 50 cents Sundays and week days.
The profit will return.

I can't agree.  The Star could lower its price to those levels, but I still doubt they'd sell enough papers to make a difference.  Nobody under 40 buys a newspaper, regardless of price.  The younger demographic doesn't even pick it up for free.  It's all about being online, and being free.  Not much money in that.  It's a real shame, because quality journalism is vital to a free, informed society, which we are seeing crumble daily.

I rarely buy newspapers, and I'm in the demographic somewhere in-between senior citizen and death. I get all the news I want for free on the Internet. No wonder newspapers are dying when it's all free, plus the dead tree edition is all yesterday's news. Who's going to pay for that when today's news is just a click away?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 13, 2017 6:31 am  #9

Is too bad this critique focused on TorStar when Toronto has a couple of excellent rags, specifically the Saturday Globe & NatPost