sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2017 10:15 am  #1

The Search Engine You'll See On TV But Never Use

I'd never heard of this before, and it doesn't directly surround local TV or radio, but it's a bit unusual so I thought I'd share it here. There is a "search engine page" on the Internet that's been put there solely for the use of TV and movie studios that don't want to use Google or Bing when a character is looking for something on the web.

It's called "Search Wise" and it looks for all the world just like an actual search page. But if you look at the bottom, you'll see this disclaimer: 

"This is not a real search engine. This site has been created as a Film & TV prop web site for legal clearance purposes."  

I suppose it doesn't cost anything to have this there, and it's fun to note that every time the page is refreshed, you get a different logo. Click on it anywhere and you get sent to a company that provides graphics for the industry. I have to admit I always thought these things were generated in house and I'm surprised they actually put it up on the web. 

I guess in a way it's the modern day equivalent to the 555-phone number prefix that's been used forever on entertainment shows to keep viewers from calling an actual number and harassing people. 

So keep an eye out for its use in various shows or films you watch. Because knowing it's there may well make you "search wise!"

Search-wise.net

May 7, 2017 1:10 pm  #2

Re: The Search Engine You'll See On TV But Never Use

It's probably best not to use "real" search engines not only to avoid free product placement, but to generally keep one's nose clean.

But it can also be used as an advertising vehicle for your own product.

The NBC daytime soap "Days Of Our Lives" uses "ewesearch" as their search engine of choice.  Guess where you wind up if you go to www.ewesearch.com ?

Likewise, the British TV comedy "The IT crowd" often referred to the social networking site "friendface".  Going to www.friendface.com would take you to ITV's site for the show.  The domain has since lapsed.

Last edited by Peter the K (May 7, 2017 1:11 pm)

May 7, 2017 3:23 pm  #3

Also the Y&R used "Video Click" as a YouTube sound-a-like ...lol

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

May 7, 2017 8:53 pm  #4

Peter the K wrote:

The NBC daytime soap "Days Of Our Lives" uses "ewesearch" as their search engine of choice.  Guess where you wind up if you go to www.ewesearch.com ?

Likewise, the British TV comedy "The IT crowd" often referred to the social networking site "friendface".  Going to www.friendface.com would take you to ITV's site for the show.  The domain has since lapsed. 

This is, indeed, becoming more and more common as the TV world meets the online realm. Another great example? Fictitious idiot Congressman Jonah Ryan, a character on the HBO series Veep, has his own website, complete with a section of issues, contacts and a fake bio.

Jonah Ryan Congressman

May 8, 2017 12:47 am  #5

Fake social media names and websites for a TV show is a way to protect the creators from being sued, should those actual sites believe they're being defamed.
Here's a good read: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/63647664/why-tv-shows-use-fake-social-media-names

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.