sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2017 5:12 pm  #1

Local Community Rogers Cable TV stations make some big cuts...

Show hosts have been cut by Rogers TV in Durham region, but Rogers will be cutting local stations across the board, over the next few months and re-structuring the entire group of community programming and TV stations, here is more from the Durham Region news online...

https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7273505-rogers-tv-durham-stays-on-air-but-staff-cut-as-rogers-reduces-community-tv-support/

To me this is a sad day as local TV gave voice to people who had ideas for programming and to offer the viewing public something different, local and often topical...plus it gave wanna be TV show hosts an opportunity to beta test a program idea and see if they could grow an audience first on local TV with the hopes of being picked up by bigger networks...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 3, 2017 6:10 pm  #2

Re: Local Community Rogers Cable TV stations make some big cuts...

Wasn't there a clause built into the cable system carrier obligations to provide a local access channel?  It was a trade-off between supplying cable and still offering a semblance of local content.

I am not up on current CRTC TV regs,  has that changed?  I'm not talking Wayne's World type stuff, but actual local community content?

May 3, 2017 7:42 pm  #3

Shaw also is doing this out west.

May 4, 2017 9:36 am  #4

It's the "farm team" they're cutting.
Kevin Quinn got his start on Scarborough Today in the 80's (I miss that program) 
He went on to Barrie's CKVR and later Sportsnet.
While some staff tends to stay there forever,
I still wish Rogers would fund these programs a little more and keep them alive. Most of the staff is volunteer anyway.
(there's nothing wrong with staying there forever either. When there were local news programs they were produced well, and the faces of local news seemed to be very professional.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (May 4, 2017 9:38 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.