sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 3, 2017 2:04 pm  #1

CFRB Host Loses It On Air Over Emotional Break-Up

I’m not sure what to make of what I just heard on CFRB.

NewsTalk 1010 afternoon host Jim Richards lost it on air around 1:30 PM on Monday, after reciting a story about meeting a girlfriend he’d broken up with in Ottawa this weekend. He started audibly crying, his voice continually breaking, followed by long pauses and the inability to get out any more words. And it went on that way for at least 12 minutes straight.  

He was saved only by the traffic report, which came at 1:45, before he was able to gather himself back together and continued on with the show. Callers later called it “brave” and “courageous.” And I don’t want to pile on. There’s no doubt it was real. But was it the right thing to do?

How far should hosts go when their emotions get the best of them? To his credit, he never threw to an early spot break. But maybe he should have. I recall a guy I know who had just lost his beloved dog, something I’ve had to go through too many times to count. It is an emotional wrecking ball. Yet, he did an air shift that afternoon, and you wouldn’t have known anything was wrong.

I felt sorry for Richards as the story progressed but after 10 minutes of trying not to openly start sobbing, it got really uncomfortable to listen to. (Although I'll admit it would have been impossible to turn it off as it was unfolding.). Where do you draw the line on bringing your own emotions into an on-air gig? I’d be curious to ask those who heard this whether they think it was indeed “brave” or way over the top.

April 3, 2017 2:21 pm  #2

Re: CFRB Host Loses It On Air Over Emotional Break-Up

It was a pre-tape, but I was recording an interview a few days ago and started recanting a story about a little kid I was watching in a public venue trying to get the attention of, being so upset she couldn't, and then surprisingly having that 'hero' show up behind her, tap her on the shoulder and make her (and her parents) year.  I got about 3/4 through trying to tell it, and had to stop, take a breather, grab a kleenex, (which is never easy in an announce booth btw!) apologize and re-start the story.  It was embarrassing but real.   The others in the room didn't mind as much as I did.

Not specifically this thread, but it's sad that showing emotions is such a strange thing to hear about or do.  People forget there are people behind the microphones, living and experiencing real lives, and inevitably the feedback to those of us who are so scared to 'put it all out there', both from listeners and management,  is that people appreciate the 'reality' of the situation for a change, rather than the normal controlled presentation.

I admire him for keeping going and wish I had his courage.  I would have bailed to a spot break.

ig.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 3, 2017 2:44 pm  #3

when was it, back in 2014?  listening to CHTZ when KK learned during her shift that iron mike had died.  THAT was sad.....

April 3, 2017 2:47 pm  #4

Here's the one I think of when this topic comes up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quk22UjE-QI

If it's okay for him, it's okay for us

or him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqW1_P-Skw

then again, I lost it at the end of Boss Baby , so I'm not a great barometer when it comes to this stuff.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 3, 2017 5:16 pm  #5

If it's real and genuine then it's good radio.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 3, 2017 6:01 pm  #6

I must admit I was never a Jim Richards regular listener.  But, today, after listening to that clip, I have a definite respect for him as a broadcaster and as a man.  As men, we're conditioned to keep our emotions close to our chest and not show emotion.  I, too, tend to subscribe to that edict.  But, as I age, I allow myself to be human and show tears.  I applaud Jim for his openness today.  Yes, he could have cut to a spot, but he did not.  I applaud that.  His story reminds me of a very similar personal one and I can definately bond with his reaction.  Life is too damn short to bottle in what makes us human.

April 3, 2017 6:58 pm  #7

wait, but all emotion aside, his dog didn't die, nor did his wife, or his bff.  just a girlfriend breakup.  doesn't that take it a step too far to be that emotional on air?  my 18 yr old just broke up with his gf..... he trashed his room.  is that radio?

April 3, 2017 7:01 pm  #8

Heard this live as it unfolded...

Picked up my radio

and told the wife (she is familiar with Jim) to "listen to this"!!!!

It was quite compelling and I'm glad his comments are available for any one to hear...