sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2017 11:31 pm  #1

RIP - Reg Sellner

One of the pioneer broadcasters at CKCO-TV Kitchener passed away Monday. Reg Sellner was a Kitchener native, working in radio at CKCR - forerunner to CHYM,  joining CKCO very shortly after the TV station went on the air in 1954. With the exception of a brief stint with the Ministry of Amateur Sport in Ottawa in the early 60's his whole television career was with CKCO, hosting talk and cooking shows and the Canadian Bandstand teen dance party before becoming Promotion Manager for CKCO-TV, CFCA-FM and CKKW-AM until his retirement in 1995. 

http://www.henrywalser.com/book-of-memories/2462921/Sellner-Reginald-Anthony/obituary.php

March 22, 2017 12:11 am  #2

Re: RIP - Reg Sellner

March 22, 2017 11:28 am  #3

R.I.P. Mr. Sellner...

My first memory of him was doing the Kitchener Rangers television broadcasts in the early 1960's...

Then hosting Canadian Bandstand on Saturday afternoons...

A real pro...

March 22, 2017 12:33 pm  #4

Some pics of Reg from Facebook.. play by play hockey, Canadian Bandstand and a cooking show 

Last edited by zed (March 22, 2017 12:35 pm)

March 22, 2017 1:38 pm  #5

The Record's death notice mentions donations to the MS Society in lieu of flowers.    Did Reg have MS?     A well-kept secret, if so.

March 22, 2017 8:25 pm  #6

Like the Unc, my memories of Reg go back to Kitchener Rangers hockey on Sunday afternoons.  For some reason, the phrase, "...and some idiot threw a rubber ball on the ice!" comes to mind.  RIP...

March 23, 2017 7:49 pm  #7

maybo wrote:

my memories of Reg go back to the Kitchener Rangers and for
 some reason, the phrase, "...and some idiot threw a rubber ball on the ice!"  ...

Ain't it funny...I can still hear Mr. Sellner  calling the names of the two brothers from North Bay in the Rangers lineup...Gordon and Sheldon  Kannegiesser...   

Don Cherry once said the Kannegiesser brothers 
had the longest name in hockey...

March 23, 2017 8:39 pm  #8

I could have named myself after Gordon and Sheldon...but...I wouldn't have been Old Geezer.  I'd have been Old Gazer...and that would have been weird. 

I can appreciate you guys missing Reg and holding him in esteem...as I do Norm Marshall [Hamilton Red Wings games] and Johnny Esaw who used to do the Jr. A games on CFTO when they first signed on [the Marlies and St. Mikes Majors...plus the Neil McNeil Maroons too for a short while]

Back then we pretty much KNEW where all of the OHA Jr. A [not OHL] stars were going in terms of their potential NHL futures.  A whole different game back then.

[apparently played with rubber balls and cans of gazers.]

March 23, 2017 9:44 pm  #9

Why isn't there a depository for the great pics and vids from all these pioneers?

March 24, 2017 8:45 am  #10

splunge wrote:

Why isn't there a depository for the great pics and vids from all these pioneers?

There is, and they are looking for more material:

http://www.aireum.ca/

Last edited by Dale Patterson (March 24, 2017 8:47 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 24, 2017 9:09 am  #11

Here is the CKCO history site....  lots of photos, and some video.

http://ckco-history.com/

March 24, 2017 9:42 am  #12

Dale Patterson wrote:

splunge wrote:

There is, and they are looking for more material:

http://www.aireum.ca/ 

I love the idea of this museum, but I contacted them, telling them I had a whole bunch of great broadcast airchecks, memorabilia and history I'd be willing to donate - including some stuff I know no one else has. They took my name, my number and promised they'd be back in touch with me to get the material.  It's been more than a year and I'm still waiting to hear a word from them. 

March 24, 2017 10:04 am  #13

What good is a museum that hardly anyone knows about?    

You'll get better exposure for (and more appreciation for) your collection by taking it to one of the occasional SOWNY luncheons at High Street fish + chips

March 24, 2017 10:56 am  #14

Hard to transport all those reel-to-reel tapes anywhere - and what would you play them on?

March 24, 2017 11:26 am  #15

Reg's visitation is this evening & the service is tomorrow, so we should drop this side topic for the time being (while hoping someone picks up on this and gets back to you).   

Last edited by Kilgore (March 24, 2017 11:27 am)

March 24, 2017 6:43 pm  #16

unclefester wrote:

Ain't it funny...I can still hear Mr. Sellner  calling the names of the two brothers from North Bay in the Rangers lineup...Gordon and Sheldon  Kannegiesser... 

And Walter Tay-chuk...