sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2017 2:32 pm  #1

The One Big News Story You Won’t Hear On GTA Radio Sunday

It’s been a huge controversy for months. But now that it’s here, you’d be hard pressed to find a mention of it anywhere on any of Toronto's radio airwaves. It’s the infamous lack of SimSub for the Super Bowl, which has already involved court challenges from CTV and the NFL, an appeal to both Donald Trump and Justin Trudeau, a partial excuse for huge layoffs at Bell Media and more. So it's a pretty big deal.

Yet, turn on the radio Sunday on the day the game airs and there’s not been a single mention of this roiling controversy anywhere. It’s as though it's election day and newscasters are deliberately ignoring that you’re supposed to get out and vote.

This is not a surprise, of course. Bell Media would rather keep silent than talk about Fox’s coverage being allowed here for the first (and perhaps the last) time. According to an interesting article in Friday’s Globe and Mail, Bell is going out of its way to ignore the ruling:

“CTV has been promoting its broadcast more than usual, and on-air talent on its networks are being encouraged to mention the CTV broadcast when discussing the Super Bowl. (This does not apply to news staff, the company says.)”

And yet, despite that last caveat, their news seems to be scrupulously avoiding it, as well.

I’ve listened to a few newscasts on Rogers’ 680 News on Sunday, and while they can’t ignore that the game is a go, there’s not even a single mention of where to watch it or who’s showing it. Also not a surprise, although I suppose they could take a dig at arch-rival Bell by reminding viewers the thing is also airing unsubstituted on Fox.

I've only heard one Corus cast, and they didn't mention it, either.

It makes perfect sense, of course, except that you have to wonder if that old bugaboo about corporate interests interfering with news reporting is on display here. This is a big deal – the first time in more than 40 years in Canada that there will be two feeds of North America’s largest sporting event.

Yet every station is maintaining radio silence. This is not really much of shock, of course, but to me, it’s far more interesting than the game itself.  

Last edited by RadioActive (February 5, 2017 2:34 pm)

February 5, 2017 3:03 pm  #2

Re: The One Big News Story You Won’t Hear On GTA Radio Sunday

Vintage Favorites with Gene Stevens on AM740 is the bigger story in this household

February 5, 2017 3:35 pm  #3

As I prefer to be entertained...I'll be watching the game on FOX.  [Except for the 1/2 time show.] 

Entertainment for 'kidlettes and chicklettes' decidedly does NOT belong at 1/2 time with ANY game which attracts a sizeable and predominate mature male audience.  It didn't work with Madonna.  It didn't work with that 'Beiber?/Bieber?' self-grabbing, crotch-affixed clown at the 100th Grey Cup game and it won't work today at 'super' bowl 51 unless "ha ha" tosses her planned 'set' out and brings in Tony Bennett to share the stage.

Is that sexist?   Absolutely  N O T.

You don't see Rolling Stones, Tommy Petty, male oriented videos running during breaks from cartoons or North America's favourite soap operas or any of that barf-inducing and never ending lineup of other girlie shows infesting day-time TV with its oging parade of bland and boring.  This 1/2 time 'business' is programming foolishness at its worst.  It chases even non-smoking males away from the TV, out the back door and into the garage or the great outdoors in order to spark up something to numb the disappointment of having one of the last male entertainment bastions  afflicted with 21st century programming bullshit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey?!?!?!?  How about introducing BINGO between periods during the Stanley Cup finals?

Last edited by Old Codger (February 5, 2017 3:50 pm)

February 6, 2017 1:29 am  #4

You're comparing a Super Bowl halftime show to commercial breaks during soap operas?  

Have you taken your medication?

Men and women who are football fans watch for the game and men and women who aren't football fans watch halftime and the commercials.  Women make up 35 percent of NFL viewership and roughly 45 percent of Super Bowl viewership.  Sorry that you want it to be for men only but the rest of society had decided that everyone can be in on it.  If you don't like Lady Gaga go have have a bowel movement for 15 minutes.  It's not a big deal. 

Last edited by Prod Guy (February 6, 2017 1:45 am)