sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2017 12:41 pm  #1

Bell blames CRTC for its latest firing spree

Bell Media cited the federal broadcast regulator’s contested Super Bowl advertising policy as a factor in its decision to cut more than two dozen jobs across the country.

The media division of BCE Inc., Canada’s largest telecommunications company, is reducing positions at more than 24 locations across the country including radio and television stations, spokesman Scott Henderson confirmed in an email Tuesday.

“The restructuring is the result of the challenges Bell Media and other Canadian media companies are facing due to increasing international competition, the evolution of broadcast technologies, and advertising and regulatory pressure,” Henderson said.

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/bell-media-cites-crtc-super-bowl-ad-policy-in-latest-round-of-layoffs?__lsa=226f-e342#

January 31, 2017 1:39 pm  #2

Re: Bell blames CRTC for its latest firing spree

So Bell says latest cuts in its Radio & TV talent pool is the fault of the CRTC's decision to allow US commercials to air on Canadian TV Superbowl broadcasts. Really? Here's a suggestion: If Bell can't afford to staff it's radio and TV stations with great talent than maybe it's time to sell those stations to someone else who can afford the talent. 

January 31, 2017 2:06 pm  #3

Are they serious?  I can just hear the conversation. "Um Ingrid, we love you here at Chum FM, but we have to let you go, because, well, you know those pesky U.S. commercials they run at the SuperBowl?, Yeah, the comapny will be losing money on SuperBowl Sunday, and won't be able to pay you anymore"
Fargin Iceholes. Lyin' bastids.

I am Here, just not all there.

January 31, 2017 3:15 pm  #4

What really galls me about this so-called “explanation” is that it cost a lot of great talent their jobs and they have absolutely no sure way of knowing exactly what impact the CRTC decision will actually have on the game ratings – or their bottom line.

How can they possibly know they’re going to lose anything beyond a so-far only estimated amount of money? Last I checked the calendar, the broadcast hasn’t even aired yet. Yet they dumped a huge wad of salary just in case? Does this stand the sniff test for anyone? At least if they’d waited until after Sunday’s results came out, I’d be more willing to believe it.

This is just the chance to do a salary dump they were likely to get into anyway and give the middle finger to the CRTC while they’re at it. Devious, maybe even clever in a ruthless way.

But true?

You’ll never get me to buy it. 

Be sure to watch the game on Fox...

January 31, 2017 3:19 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

What really galls me about this so-called “explanation” is that it cost a lot of great talent their jobs and they have absolutely no sure way of knowing exactly what impact the CRTC decision will actually have on the game ratings – or their bottom line.

How can they possibly know they’re going to lose anything beyond a so-far only estimated amount of money? Last I checked the calendar, the broadcast hasn’t even aired yet. Yet they dumped a huge wad of salary just in case? Does this stand the sniff test for anyone? At least if they’d waited until after Sunday’s results came out, I’d be more willing to believe it.

This is just the chance to do a salary dump they were likely to get into anyway and give the middle finger to the CRTC while they’re at it. Devious, maybe even clever in a ruthless way.

But true?

You’ll never get me to buy it. 

Be sure to watch the game on Fox...

The ad rates are set on an audience estimate when it comes to single event broadcasts. It would be fair to estimate that the audience could be ~50 less than last year.

January 31, 2017 3:27 pm  #6

Don wrote:

The ad rates are set on an audience estimate when it comes to single event broadcasts. It would be fair to estimate that the audience could be ~50 less than last year.

I'm still not convinced that most Canadians who might care are even aware that the Fox feed will be there. We'll see. But I would maintain that you don't fire some of your best talent across the country because of what you think might occur based on an estimate of something that's never happened before in Canadian broadcast history. At least wait until Monday or when the so-called overnights come out and see what the damage is. Then your action carries a little more believable weight.

What if they don't lose as much as they think?

Does anyone get hired back? 

January 31, 2017 3:27 pm  #7

Is Melissa Grelo part of the layoffs? That woman is more annoying and fake than anything.

January 31, 2017 3:37 pm  #8

I agree with Bell on this one (which is rare).   Fact is the they paid a whack of dough for the NFL rights, and the rules of the game changed because of the CRTC.   Bell is stuck with a monster bill that needs to be paid.  They are in the business of making money and hitting goals, and the bottom-line is they can't quickly recoup that lost revenue which means the only way to hit their target is to cut expenses.   That's just how it is.  Sucks to be a line item for the staff members.   IMO you are misguided if you don't blame the commission on this.   What urkes me the most is that the commission staff is made up of a bunch of six figured salaried employees, who know nothing about broadcasting operations, and they have protected jobs for life and are held accountable by no one.  Sadly, this whole mess is so people can watch US commercials?  PLEEEEEEASE.....  its laughable.

January 31, 2017 4:07 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I'm still not convinced that most Canadians who might care are even aware that the Fox feed will be there.

Well, for what it's worth, during the last two World Series' (I haven't watched previously) the fox affiliate (which on Bell Satellite is in Boston or Seattle) showed the domestic feed while Sportsnet showed the international feed so there was no SimSub.

Did anyone notice?  Did anyone care?  My wife, the once rabid but now (thanks to the strike a while ago) "World Series Only" baseball fan, couldn't care less, as long as she could tune into the game.

I would tend to agree that most Canadians don't have a clue, nor do they care, about SimSub. 

We'll probably watch the Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet or something else.  If there's anything worth catching, I'm sure it will show up on youtube in due course.

Last edited by Peter the K (January 31, 2017 4:09 pm)

January 31, 2017 4:50 pm  #10

kowchmedia wrote:

If Bell can't afford to staff it's radio and TV stations with great talent than maybe it's time to sell those stations to someone else who can afford the talent   

Bell is likely well aware that it paid w-a-a-a-y too much and may be seeking a way out.   Suggestions, Steve?

January 31, 2017 5:23 pm  #11

Other than speculation of 'industry pressure' where did the company say it was the Superbowl?   There's no doubt that it was one of the factors, it will remove millions from the Bell account and leave them stateside.

But anyone who follows this game knows there are MANY other pressures at work also, from news to licensing and everything in between, not to mention the other CRTC fights including fibre sharing, carriage fees, etc.  

To make this simply about the Superbowl seems, honestly, silly.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 31, 2017 5:34 pm  #12

RadioQuiz wrote:

I agree with Bell on this one (which is rare).   Fact is the they paid a whack of dough for the NFL rights, and the rules of the game changed because of the CRTC.   Bell is stuck with a monster bill that needs to be paid.  They are in the business of making money and hitting goals, and the bottom-line is they can't quickly recoup that lost revenue which means the only way to hit their target is to cut expenses.   That's just how it is.  Sucks to be a line item for the staff members.   IMO you are misguided if you don't blame the commission on this.   What urkes me the most is that the commission staff is made up of a bunch of six figured salaried employees, who know nothing about broadcasting operations, and they have protected jobs for life and are held accountable by no one.  Sadly, this whole mess is so people can watch US commercials?  PLEEEEEEASE.....  its laughable.

They would have made the same cuts anyway. Nice try.
It's always about doing things cheaper and cheaper...and cheaper no matter what.

Also, never ever take Bell's side when they're saying "only a few care about the sim sub gone"
IF only a few care, than CTV is on in everyone's home freely. Right???
Who cares about the few that will tune into the American channel
AND
How tough is it to do something during the super bowl that people feel they might actually miss if they are NOT tuned into the Canadian channel???

Have a special bell contest or something.

QUIT BEING SO GOD DAMN CHEAP BELL!!!

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 31, 2017 5:35 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 31, 2017 5:43 pm  #13

So for all those hundreds...wait...thousands who were let go previously it wasn't the CRTC's fault?  Just Bell's?

Where the hell are my hip-waders?

I agree.  Take those licenses away from them.  They're managing those outlets into the manure pile and depriving Canadians of that which they deserve.  Namely?  Decent and acceptable broadcasting.  Send 'em packing.  No more renewals.  Period.

February 1, 2017 7:46 pm  #14

Old Codger wrote:

So for all those hundreds...wait...thousands who were let go previously it wasn't the CRTC's fault?  Just Bell's?

Where the hell are my hip-waders?

I agree.  Take those licenses away from them.  They're managing those outlets into the manure pile and depriving Canadians of that which they deserve.  Namely?  Decent and acceptable broadcasting.  Send 'em packing.  No more renewals.  Period.

In that case, the CRTC would actually be admitting they made a mistake a few years back when they gave in to Bell's whining about needing to become bigger in order to survive. How's that working for them?

February 2, 2017 10:43 pm  #15

So?  We all make mistakes.  Sometimes we also put our faith in 'others' only to be let down and disappointed.  After an ongoing pattern of THAT kind of behavior we are then put in a position where we might choose to rethink our original stance.