sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2016 8:15 pm  #1

The Motts!

I was up early on Saturday. Paul and Carol were on CFRB in an apparently non-'paid-advertisment' broadcast! Same old 'dumb and dumber' right-ring shtick! Bold approach - you'd figure they would've adapted to changing times, but no. 

It's almost like CFRB feels obligated to forgive and ignore past failures.

December 4, 2016 10:03 pm  #2

Re: The Motts!

You no like the Motts ??

December 4, 2016 10:19 pm  #3

I've always enjoyed their apple sauce.

December 9, 2016 1:18 am  #4

Well I do like the fact that the OP added the exclamation mark when he wrote the title to this thread...The Motts! Is that how they present themselves ?? Would that work for anyone else ??
Let's see...how does this look...Old Codger!  ....nah maybe not...

December 10, 2016 6:32 pm  #5

They're welcome to add the exclamation mark to their branding. I offer it free of charge - I won't be listening.

December 10, 2016 7:23 pm  #6

Chrisphen wrote:

Paul and Carol were on CFRB in an apparently non-'paid-advertisment' broadcast! Same old 'dumb and dumber' right-ring shtick! Bold approach - you'd figure they would've adapted to changing times, but no. 

So is the point here that Paul hasn't changed? Okayyyyyy... I beg to differ on Carol though: she has always leaned politically to the left. The "good cop/bad cop" routine wore thin years ago. What "changing times" are you referring to? Dashboard-pounders tend to hang to the right.

BTW, RB, doesn't really do "paid advertisement"-type programming with the exception of the "Ask the Experts" infomercials. The Motts (with or without an exclamation point) is regular programming. (IMO I believe they gear it to RB's "incredibly vast" equestrian audience as mention of anything horse-related comes up far too frequently.) 

December 11, 2016 5:58 am  #7

to put a positive spin on this, when the Motts win the Nobel Prize for Innovative Broadcasting, they WILL travel to Stockholm for the presentation

December 11, 2016 12:36 pm  #8

Listening to Paul and Carol this morning and what did I hear ???

Carol clearly stated that she and Paul at one point in their career were offered a full time coast-to-coast overnight program . She didn't elaborate as to who extended the offer or when it was made but she did say they certainly considered it. And the reason she says they declined was because she felt she couldn't handle the upside down hours when it came to getting proper rest and performing at her best. To illustrate she said she is the sort of person who often retires early and can sleep standing up...an overnighter not a good shift for that sort of person... 

I'd not heard that story before but now that the horse is out of the barn it's interesting to speculate a bit here...would it  have been impactful had The Motts! chosen to accept a national all night radio offer ?? Would it have enhanced their brand ?? 

Would we have heard a lot less of George Noory... ??

Discuss...

Last edited by unclefester (December 11, 2016 2:50 pm)

December 11, 2016 2:15 pm  #9

Good on them for knowing that even THEY couldn't fill 5 hours a night of equestrian and barn talk. They'd have to resort to the weirdos and freaks of staple overnight radio. Paging the lady that hears voices through the toaster she won on that 80's Canadian game show.

December 11, 2016 8:44 pm  #10

Conservative and slightly less conservative covering the political spectrum from A to C. Reminds me of when Basset ran CTV in the early 90s and put a point-counterpoint segment on CTV News where populist conservative former Social Credit cabinet minister "debated" fiscal conservative Diane Frances. The segment lasted about a month or so, as I recall. 

December 11, 2016 9:16 pm  #11

i'm confused.  is talk radio really relevant?  PPM suggests Indie 88 does better than AM 640.  To use an old SOWNY phrase, who are these "dashboard pounders"???

December 11, 2016 9:41 pm  #12

splunge wrote:

i'm confused.  is talk radio really relevant?  PPM suggests Indie 88 does better than AM 640.

Way to set the bar real low. What doesn't beat 640? There's a station in North York that broadcasts nothing but a canibal clipping his toenails to the beat of a Yukon throatsinger that does better than Toxic40.

December 11, 2016 10:26 pm  #13

cGrant wrote:

Way to set the bar real low. What doesn't beat 640? There's a station in North York that broadcasts nothing but a canibal clipping his toenails to the beat of a Yukon throatsinger that does better than Toxic40.

I might actually tune in to hear that!

December 12, 2016 9:42 am  #14

splunge wrote:

i'm confused.  is talk radio really relevant?  PPM suggests Indie 88 does better than AM 640 

​Which brings us to the decades-old question, is/was PPM (or its predecessor) relevant?     This morning I am enjoying (via the internet) a favorite program out of Belleville/Trenton that I missed Friday afternoon, and after that ends will catch up on still another favorite out of Wasaga Beach that I missed early Saturday evening.     If I had been issued a PPM-thingy and was wearing it (or whatever one does) at this time, would it credit those deserving broadcasters?     

Last edited by geo (December 12, 2016 9:45 am)

December 12, 2016 10:06 am  #15

Ah, yes, the hotly contested Wasaga ratings market.......

December 12, 2016 10:59 am  #16

grilled.cheese wrote:

Almost as hot as the mysterious fire that cleared out the old strip a few years ago.

​Urban renewal program

December 12, 2016 8:09 pm  #17

splunge wrote:

To use an old SOWNY phrase, who are these "dashboard pounders"???

I had a summer job at Canada Customs a decade-or-three ago. I can say with authority that at least some of them are senior-status union reps and their pals, gathered around a radio and a telephone, waiting on hold to vent their rage against liberal commie pinkos and their wasteful ways.

Last edited by Chrisphen (December 12, 2016 8:09 pm)

December 14, 2016 12:07 pm  #18

Wonderful clamato juice.  That's about as far as I'm willing to go.  Except for... ... ...
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.