sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2016 3:43 pm  #1

Future CBC? PBS-Style Fundraising, No Sitcoms & No Commercials

It’s probably never going to happen, but David Farrell’s always entertaining column in FYIMusicNews.ca offers a fascinating look at one possible future prototype for the CBC if a certain politician gets his way. Maxime Bernier (who famously left classified documents at his allegedly organized-crime linked girlfriend’s house in 2008) wants a new Corp. to look like this:

Stop competing with commercial TV and end the unfair advantage of having a public broadcaster getting subsidized to compete with networks and channels which don’t get taxpayer funds.

Get rid of the cooking shows, the sitcoms and the dramas, which everybody else does better. Replace them with news, documentaries and public affairs shows that don’t just come from Toronto and Montreal.

End advertising on CBC and let them raise money from corporate sponsors, while turning viewers into contributors, so people who actually watch the product help pay for it, like PBS-style fundraisers. (Does this mean there’s a Goldie in our future?)

Drastically reduce government funding, and rescind the True Dough government’s extra $150 million a year allotment.

I’m not sure about some of those changes and I doubt Monsieur Bernier will be the next Conservative leader, but it would certainly make for a big refresh of a staid old network that may be long overdue for an overhaul. Besides, I can't wait to see what those pledge breaks would look like.   

November 25, 2016 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Future CBC? PBS-Style Fundraising, No Sitcoms & No Commercials

I must be one of those bleeding-heart, left-wing Commies who appreciates what the CBC has meant to Canada for generations now. Do I object to the $35/annum/taxpayer it costs? Not on your life. All I have to do these days is blink and $35 is gone.

Given CTV and Global acting pretty much as repeater transmitters for American programming, and acknowledging the left-wing slant on most topics by the CBC, I still want it to exist and I still want taxpayers to contribute. Other taxpayers hate being forced to contribute their $35, do they? Yeah, well I hate paying for some of their sacred cows. Get over it. It's a bleedin' two-four a year. That's a hell of a bargain.

Yes, the CBC is far from perfect, but thank god it's there to push back a bit on the constant pressure of American culture. If they weren't there to continue telling Canada's story, we'd all end up thinking we were born in 'murica. We're already talking and shopping like we were. The CBC is one of the very things we would miss if it were gone.

November 25, 2016 2:38 pm  #3

I wholeheartedly concur with 'Twister'.

I still get a bit of a kick that when I watch Market Place the show carries commercial advertising.

Unless memory is failing me, when Wendy Mesley hosted the show it ran commercial free.

November 25, 2016 2:55 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

I still want taxpayers to contribute. Other taxpayers hate being forced to contribute their $35, do they? Yeah, well I hate paying for some of their sacred cows. Get over it. It's a bleedin' two-four a year. That's a hell of a bargain 

How about YOU pay for YOUR sacred cow and I pay for mine. I won't force something down your throat and you keep your precious CBC. Deal?  

It's not the cost, Sir/Madam, it's the principle of the matter.  I don't care if it's 5 2-4's, if I don't want it, I DON'T WANT it. Period.

November 25, 2016 3:20 pm  #5

cGrant wrote:

How about YOU pay for YOUR sacred cow and I pay for mine. I won't force something down your throat and you keep your precious CBC. Deal?  

It's not the cost, Sir/Madam, it's the principle of the matter.  I don't care if it's 5 2-4's, if I don't want it, I DON'T WANT it. Period.

Deal. Post your list of approved government expenditures that we taxpayers pay for and I'll tell you the ones I don't want. If you can get them dropped from my "must-contribute" list then I'll work on getting the CBC dropped from your "must-contribute" list.

Let me know how it works out. In the meanwhile, as part of a democracy we all pay for some things we like and some we don't. Everyone has their own lists. We may share approval of many items; disapproval of others. That's how the system works. I dare say some things you're thrilled to pay taxes for would meet with disapproval from others.

November 25, 2016 3:28 pm  #6

I hardly consider a throwaway dieing entity of television and radio programming to be on par with health care, education and infrastructure spending.

November 25, 2016 3:51 pm  #7

cGrant wrote:

I hardly consider a throwaway dieing entity of television and radio programming to be on par with health care, education and infrastructure spending.

It's dying, not "dieing". Perhaps less time consuming American programming and more time with the CBC may be beneficial for you.

November 25, 2016 4:21 pm  #8

Communication, Canadian or American is successful if you understood my original point. Correcting syntax shows you agreed with my original misspelled point due to the lack of a valid counter argument. I accept your acquiescence.

November 25, 2016 7:49 pm  #9

When CBC does something popular, like having the #1 morning radio show in various markets, people complain about how dare they compete with the private sector and do something better than them. When CBC does something that's not popular then it's "elitist" programming that we shouldn't be spending public money on. Fact remains that the CBC does a lot of things that the private sector can't or won't do and we'd be a lot worse off without it. 

November 25, 2016 8:28 pm  #10

Could it be the private sector doesn't do something because there's no widespread interest or demand to it? It must be nice to have a public budget where one can do something regardless.

Or the cynical on here will tie the private sector to commercially viable demand.  Like that is a bad thing -- if it fails in the ratings, it gets cancelled. As opposed to the precious CBC where a program can languish with a small audience.

November 25, 2016 10:26 pm  #11

I don't want to support the CBC with penny 1 because they do ever-so-little to bring me in to watch or listen to their never-ending pomposity.  Thank gawd they lean left or I'd have pulled an Elvis and shot my bloody televisions... ... ...all of them... ... ...twice... ... ...minimum. 

CBC radio?  Not a chance.  And after Rick Mercer occasionally and Kim's Variety?  The TV ain't gettin' my attention either.  But no commercial's?  That's just bad-assidly stupid.  Make them compete for their survival...not go a-begging ... top-hat in hand.  The CBC has historically struck me as thinking that it's WAY above the plebes and better than almost all Canadians.  Well they can take that snobbish perch and rotate on it as far as I'm concerned.

Make 'em work for it.  No more government support and no PBS-style pan-handling.  If people want it...it'll float.  If not?  The truth and real news are long gone pieces of toast anyway.  As Paul Simon pointed out...[oh-so-succinctly and sadly] some 46 years ago..."I get the news I need on the weather report."   And then?  He said it again.  "Oh, I can gather all the news I need on the weather report.  Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile."  So "Da-n-do-da-n-do-da-n-do" here we are.

There are more important things to be spending money on than arrogance.  Put the money into health care.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 25, 2016 10:31 pm)

November 26, 2016 1:35 am  #12

cGrant wrote:

Could it be the private sector doesn't do something because there's no widespread interest or demand to it?.

Which I guess is why Metro Morning has been the leading morning show in Toronto for years. 

November 27, 2016 6:27 pm  #13

There were two main complaints I always heard from colleagues in the 35 years I worked in private radio and TV in this city. 

The first was a resentment that people in the biz were essentially paying for their own competition, since CBC (especially on the TV news side) often seemed to be going after the same audience. There was a definite feeling of unfairness that their wages were being used to help fund those working for the same piece of the pie.

The other gripe I always used to hear was the sheer number of crew members used by the CBC, while most stations were just getting by or were overworking their own employees because the budgets never allowed for enough of them.

A typical news shoot for most of us, for example, would feature a camera person and a reporter - and sometimes, if you were just spraying an accident scene, it was only a camera. In later years, a videographer was a one-man band, who not only shot the scene and did stand-ups to their own equipment, but would later edit the piece themselves. 

The CBC, meanwhile, would often send a cameraman, a sound guy carrying an audio boom, a producer and a reporter, all to cover the exact same thing. A Corp. radio show might have 10 producers, while most private stations would be lucky to have just one. In most cases, that sole reporter or newsroom person did everything in the studio themselves. 

I'm not sure the feelings expressed against the CBC were that it didn't deserve to exist, just that it was bloated and unfair competition, simply because taxes - and advertising - paid for all those resources on an unlevel playing field, while the non-government types had to struggle to make ends meet, all the while knowing they were funding the very excesses they so resented. 

November 27, 2016 10:04 pm  #14

One Republic pounded the living daylights out of that crotch-grabbing, little-girl oriented...[at A MEN'S game no les]s...bopper-buttlick Justin who 'uglied up' the field and had at least 40,000 fans BOOING at full volume at the 100th Grey Cup Game 1/2 time show in 2012...you know...the LAST time 'they' hosted the 'affair' in Toronto.  That had to have been a typically stupid Bell 'call'.  Now Bell owns the Argos...and the Argos aren't there to play on their own home field this time.  As a matter of fact they didn't even make the blinkin' playoffs.  Bell's as good/bad at team ownership as they used to be at KNOWING what FOOTBALL fans want at a 1/2 time show.  And that SURE as SHIT ain't Justin 'friggin' Beiber.

The NFL, by the way, is just as g-d'd stupid at the Super Bowl 1/2 time shows.  It's not 'girlie time' for gawd sake.  It's FOOTBALL.

Get it right.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 27, 2016 11:12 pm)

November 29, 2016 1:59 am  #15

Well, this ought to further infuriate those who think the CBC is already sucking up too much taxpayer loot. I can hear the heads exploding from here. 

CBC asks Ottawa for more than $300 million in new funding to go ad free

They argue that giving them all that extra money would actually benefit private broadcasters, by causing advertisers to head to other stations. Gotta give them credit for creativity, if nothing else. The comments section that follows the article is almost more interesting than the story itself. 

November 29, 2016 7:16 am  #16

Toronto Star sez they asked for $400 million but you can't trust anything in the Star

November 29, 2016 6:53 pm  #17

Give them sweet f-all.  Those days are done.  CBC is so out of touch with the average Canadian that they might as well be from Mars.  [The average Canadian I mean.  CBC is obviously from Venus.  They always have been.  That will never change.]

Finally an end is in sight.  Make it so.

November 29, 2016 9:18 pm  #18

Old Codger wrote:

CBC is so out of touch with the average Canadian that they might as well be from Mars.  [The average Canadian I mean.  CBC is obviously from Venus.  They always have been.  That will never change.]

Finally an end is in sight.  Make it so.

While I rarely if ever listen to CBC there's no denying they have a strong following in many parts of Canada. In most of the major cities they give the private stations a real run for the ratings. They can't be that out of touch. Fact is, our tax dollars go to all sorts of things you may not support so this wouldn't be any different. Until they change the "constitution" that states Canada must have a national broadcaster, CBC will remain.

November 29, 2016 9:43 pm  #19

kevjo wrote:

In most of the major cities they give the private stations a real run for the ratings.

And therein lies the problem: tax dollars competing with the private sector. It's amazing what a radio show will sound like with eleven producers. How many private stations barely have one? And how about community stations? Zip.

November 29, 2016 11:27 pm  #20

It's so confusing around here. All along I've been told that private-sector programming suffers as a result of greedy/stingy corporate overlords. Now I find out it's all the CBC's fault. Who knew?

November 29, 2016 11:43 pm  #21

Dial Twister wrote:

greedy/stingy corporate overlords.

Reading the litany of corporate bashing is tiresome here. And paints the picture of each authors as petty, miserable and jealous. Methinks every time someone corporate bashes, they were fired from a corp and now spend their rocking chair days waxing about better days of yore.

November 30, 2016 10:47 am  #22

pay that 400 million $ to corus entertainment on the condition that they return john oakley to morning drive where he belongs