sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 22, 2016 8:31 am  #1

NFL or CFL? TSN 1050 Knows ...

I was watching the Edmonton and Ottawa semi-final game on TV Sunday when I had to leave to do an errand. Thinking I would listen to it in the car, I turned on TSN 1050. What I got was the Dallas Cowboys.  I was at least expecting the audio feed from the TV.  Must say I was a little surprised.  Was it on somewhere else?

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 22, 2016 8:31 am)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 22, 2016 10:48 am  #2

Re: NFL or CFL? TSN 1050 Knows ...

The now-combined SPORTS, COMICS & WEATHER section of the Red Star has a LIVE TV/RADIO box each issue which states where to catch sporting events over the following 24 hrs.    Ottawa won. 

November 22, 2016 12:46 pm  #3

Ms. C. wrote:

The now-combined SPORTS, COMICS & WEATHER section of the Red Star has a LIVE TV/RADIO box each issue which states where to catch sporting events over the following 24 hrs.    Ottawa won. 

The red star, huh? Were the Sun and Star designed by Americans? lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 22, 2016 6:05 pm  #4

Saturday & Sunday Red Star did not show a radio listing for CFL football on Sunday (just TSN).   Interestingly Sunday sports section has a substantial print ad for Grey Cup tickets starting at $89 on the opposite page to where one would look for the radio listing before heading out in the vehicle

Oh! Canada   

Last edited by Ms. C. (November 22, 2016 6:07 pm)

November 22, 2016 7:52 pm  #5

Leslieville Bill wrote:

I was watching the Edmonton and Ottawa semi-final game on TV Sunday when I had to leave to do an errand. Thinking I would listen to it in the car, I turned on TSN 1050. What I got was the Dallas Cowboys.  I was at least expecting the audio feed from the TV.  Must say I was a little surprised.  Was it on somewhere else?

You don't want to go out in your car if you're interested in tonite's big MLS game

November 23, 2016 7:28 am  #6

​HEY Leslieville Bill:    ​see what you have started?

November 23, 2016 8:50 am  #7

Charlie wrote:

I don't subscribe to the Sun, either.  Never have.  I get my news from many sources.  I don't need the Star's feminist social agenda any more than I need the Sun's Trump-worship.  Just give me the facts.  I am more than capable of forming my own opinion about things, thanks.

Of all the evils that the Star might have, you single out feminism? What is this, 1965? Grow up.

November 23, 2016 9:58 am  #8

Leslieville Bill wrote:

Looks like you won't have that problem this weekend. 

24-station radio network returns for Sunday's Grey Cup

November 23, 2016 10:13 am  #9

I find most media outlets have a pronounced bias one way or another these days. It wasn't always this bad. For example, while the Star has always had a left-wing slant it's much more pronounced or "in your face" than it used to be. CNN is almost unwatchable for its left-wing slant, ditto for Fox News with its right-wing approach. Of all the media outlets, I like the Globe and Mail the best - they seem to have a balanced approach, at least by today's standards. I just want the facts, and from that I can form my own opinion - I don't need someone else's view on things shoved down my throat.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 23, 2016 3:45 pm  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

CNN is almost unwatchable for its left-wing slant,

I find it to be often "unwatchable" because they haven't got a CLUE how to do political news.  No idea whatsoever...save for 2 people.  They're ever-so-easily tricked into following the silly smoke screen stories and missing the actual meat and potatoes by miles and days...if not months.  They don't listen to the answers given by the interviewees and miss, almost without fail, all of the obvious follow-up questions.

Wolf Blitzer is so severely over-rated in terms of his 'place' in the scheme of things there that he's become their dead-weight anchor.  He's a blinkin' door-mat.  He gets walked all over...all of the time.  Jake Tapper should have stuck to print as he needs the full 24 hours a paper provides to figure shit out.  Gawd he's SO slow.  Pitifully so.

Anderson. Farrid.  Those are the stars at CNN.  Those 2 are their bright lights.  Some others are either emerging or disappearing.  And they just waste John King.  He should be front and centre.  Let Wolf do the computer board or better yet...buy him a goodbye watch.

By and large...they're collectively nowhere near smart enough at CNN to have ANY kind of slant...left or right.  Lose the surrogates...ALL of them.  NO exceptions.  Bring in some more experts.  And allow the hosts to tell their guests to either stay on topic or cut their mics off and send 'em packing ...with no further explanation required... after one and ONLY 1 warning.

Thank goodness for remote controls or I'd need hip-waders in order to be able to change the channel.

Keep  Brooke Baldwin, Don Lemon, Michael Smirconish, Dana Bash, Joe Johnson, Brianna Keilar, Jim Sciuto.  Oh and for goodness sake STOP abusing poor John Berman.  A human being can't switch shifts like that all of the time.  They're gonna ruin the poor man's health.  It's heartlessly STUPID.

Sanjay Gupta's good.  Keep Mark Preston and Jeff Zeleny...Paul Begala, David Gergen, Van Jones and Jeffrey Toobin.

After that?  I might have missed 1 or 2 [Cuomo, Acosta] but otherwise clear Wolf, Jake and the rest including every single one of their series hosts OUT.  All of that stuff is a waste of airtime. [and electricity/wear and tear on the idiot box]

Left wing?  They can't fly on the one wing the do have.  They should be so much more than the political punching bag that they've become.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh...and Charlie.  BANG ON about Mike Harris.  He played Ontarians for fools on purpose.  It was the plan from the get-go.  [Not that McGuninty or Wynne are any good for anybody or anything either though.]  We're screwed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile...back on topic.  CFL over NFL ever time.  Even on tsn radio.  'Cept for the super bowel...I could give a rat's anus about 4 'downer' feetsball.  The Western Canadian version rules...and Ottawa made it thoroughly entertaining in the snow.  So?  Even some eastern ball is worth the price and the time.  Last time the Grey Cup was in Toronto?  Year 100.  I was there.  The Argos won.  This time?  4 years later.  Now Bell owns the team.  The cup is in Toronto and the Double Blue didn't even make the playoffs.  Bell owns tsn radio.  How would they get that right either?  It's not like they inherited something stable which would take awhile for them to ruin.

Last edited by Old Codger (November 23, 2016 4:04 pm)