sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 17, 2016 1:05 am  #1

U.S. AM talk radio: a vast wasteland

With the disturbing news that the U.S. extreme right (i.e. Stephen Bannon) has infiltrated the Trump cabinet, I have been sampling some U.S. talk radio stations via online streaming to determine public opinion on this matter.  I checked WABC, WLS, WGN, WOR, WJR, WBZ (at night) and KMOX.as well as Sirius XM Patriot. I discovered, as I expected, a lot of pro-Trump rhetoric and virtually no criticism of his cabinet selections. Some hosts pontificating and shouting about the perils of illegal immigrants and Obamacare and the importance of building "the wall".as well as running down Clinton and the Democrats. These tirades were liberally interspersed with endless streams of commercials & hucksters., What a sad state of affairs of US AM radio....how the once mighty have fallen. Except for the all-news stations, the AM band in the U.S. is a vast wasteland and could be eliminated..

November 17, 2016 1:17 am  #2

Re: U.S. AM talk radio: a vast wasteland

I really like my C.Crane internet radio to find talk radio from anywhere.  but you quickly get assaulted & overwhelmed with toxic waste like Rush, Larry Elder, Mike Gallagher, Mike Savage, etc.  

I like WCPT Chicago Progressive Talk (www.wcpt820.com) for the likes of Bill Press & Thom Hartmann .. or Stephanie Miller for giggles.  

November 17, 2016 8:12 am  #3

Glenn Beck: The alt-right is truly terrifying

When Glenn Beck is the Republican voice of reason, you know you live in bizarro world.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 17, 2016 10:39 pm  #4

mojo55 wrote:

With the disturbing news that the U.S. extreme right (i.e. Stephen Bannon) has infiltrated the Trump cabinet, I have been sampling some U.S. talk radio stations via online streaming to determine public opinion on this matter.  I checked WABC, WLS, WGN, WOR, WJR, WBZ (at night) and KMOX.as well as Sirius XM Patriot. I discovered, as I expected, a lot of pro-Trump rhetoric and virtually no criticism of his cabinet selections. Some hosts pontificating and shouting about the perils of illegal immigrants and Obamacare and the importance of building "the wall".as well as running down Clinton and the Democrats. These tirades were liberally interspersed with endless streams of commercials & hucksters., What a sad state of affairs of US AM radio....how the once mighty have fallen. Except for the all-news stations, the AM band in the U.S. is a vast wasteland and could be eliminated..

How true .NPR is still on AM in many places. I heard this on WBFO FM this evening about the alt-right:

Have a listen:
Alt Right & Trump ?

'Stephen Bannon, Donald Trump's incoming White House chief strategist, used to run the website Breitbart, which he called "the platform for the alt-right." The alt-right has been associated with racism, anti-Semitism and misogyny. Its adherents believe they have a voice in the new administration. NPR's Kelly McEvers talks to Richard Spencer, a white nationalist who coined the term "alt-right."

Last edited by Fitz (November 17, 2016 10:45 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/