sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2016 8:07 pm  #1

Will New Mississauga Station Make Their End Of The Month Deadline?

What may be the GTA’s longest “on hold” radio station now has exactly a month to finally sign on – unless the CRTC gives them yet another extension. CKNT is supposed to be the new news/talk station at 960 AM and it was granted a licence five years (!) ago.

Since then, there’s been nothing but static on the 960 frequency, after running into endless problems over a transmitter site. At the end of September, the station announced it had finally secured a place for its antenna, despite concerns about interference from a Brampton newcomer that won’t be on the air until sometime next year.

The latest drop-dead deadline for a sign on is November 30th and so far, I haven’t heard a signal test transmission, seen a single ad for hiring or seen any evidence that this long dormant outlet will ever actually make it in time. How many extensions can one place have before the CRTC says enough is enough and pulls its licence?

Anyway, those interested can keep monitoring 960 for the next 30 days to see if anything ever actually appears there. Because for half a decade, the only thing they’ve played is the sounds of silence.

November 1, 2016 5:18 pm  #2

Re: Will New Mississauga Station Make Their End Of The Month Deadline?

CKNT? You're kidding, right?

November 1, 2016 5:24 pm  #3

Yes. As I stated in a previous thread on this topic, probably the most unfortunate set of call letters ever.

Although I'm sure Donald Trump will like them! 

November 2, 2016 12:05 pm  #4

The last CRTC extension to November 30, 2016 was very carefully-worded:
The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 30 November 2016.

This suggests that as long as there is a carrier on November 30th they have met the deadline.  There was no requirement with respect to when programming had to start.

And the transmitter site is no longer Mavis Road as a previous poster suggested.  It is now a rooftop near Derry and Tomken.

November 2, 2016 7:32 pm  #5

If you use a rooftop tower, instead of an array out side the city, can the signal still disperse properly?  Would that cover Mississauga and Oakville?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

November 2, 2016 9:49 pm  #6

It may not matter all that much. Their signal strength will be daytime just 700 watts and at nighttime a measly 104 watts. That was approved by the CRTC in 2014, although I'm wondering if they'll change that now that they finally have a TX site. But if it doesn't, I doubt you'll be able to hear 960 as far away as North York. Certainly it will be all but non-existent at night.  

Last edited by RadioActive (November 2, 2016 9:50 pm)

November 3, 2016 7:39 am  #7

Will be interesting to see how the signal does get out if it ever makes it to air. I am 100 miles ne of Toronto, have a directional 'DX' antenna aimed more or less wsw, and I have yet to hear the new station at Ryerson on 1280. In fact, I can barely get it in my car when in or even approaching the burbs. I'd love to know how many listeners they have ... young people tuning into AM ... the answer is probably on my left hand.

November 3, 2016 7:57 am  #8

Radioactive wrote:

Their signal strength will be daytime just 700 watts and at nighttime a measly 104 watts. 

In this third approval, they are again licenced for 2kW's day and 280 watts night.