sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2016 9:44 pm  #1

Life after DJ'ing

I work in a totally non-radio related business that is going through some job "re-assignments."

Today, we had a motivational speaker come in to help us with some of these "transitions"... not always a fun topic.

However, my ears perked up when the speaker stated that he was formerly a highly energetic DJ that loved the industry.  He worked his way to almost the top of the radio market in the 80's in his market in Southern Ontario before the station was bought out by one of the conglomerates and was axed due to the bean counters.

Getting shut out of the industry was one of the hardest things that happened to him when he tried to find another job (due to burning some bridges.)

However, the point of his presentation was that he re-evaluated his "portable" skills and eventually ended up as a motivational speaker (in additional to his other jobs.)  
I have to admit that I am not a fan of motivational speakers (NO ONE is that happy or energetic), but this speaker definitely used his radio skills in a new field of employment.

I don't want to use his name in case he's a member here.

Any other former radio personalities here transfer to another profession using their broadcast skills?

Davester.

October 4, 2016 10:15 pm  #2

Re: Life after DJ'ing

Yup. 

Good evening shoppers.

On your mark...get set...GOooooooooooooooooooo.

Newmarket goal scored by # 39... ... ...

Hi everybody and welcome to the 18th annual 50s/60s sock hop at the Legion... ... ...

Excuse me sir.  Have ***WE*** been drinking tonight?

October 5, 2016 12:12 am  #3

One thing I've learned in my short (yes, I consider thirteen years to be short, especially around here) time in the business...

Radio people quite often don't realize just how transferable those radio skills are.

October 5, 2016 9:43 am  #4

One that Old Codger forgot..

"..under the B..16.   B-16."

October 5, 2016 10:48 am  #5

Ring announcer for numerous professional wrestling shows here and in Michigan...

I've got a picture of tuxedoed  self and the Fabulous Kangaroos...(remember them?)

I retired from radio when I married a gal who owned and operated 2 bowling centers...we were hands on 

So every single day I would announce the 50-50 draw winner and occasionally try to locate the guy who left his lights on in the parking lot !

I was a natural !