sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2016 8:32 am  #1

The Star Blames CBC For Its Declines While Bell Slants CRTC Story

If you’ve ever wondered why many are becoming increasingly skeptical about journalism, you need look no farther than two separate stories in the news on Friday.

The first comes from the Toronto Star, where publisher John Honderich went to Ottawa to address MPs about the troubling state of newspapers in the Internet age. At one point, the veteran exec made it clear that one of the entities he blames for the financial issues and layoffs at the largest newspaper in Canada is the online presence of CBC news.

“Honderich said he now considers the digital offerings of CBC News — “spending incredibly on its website, unlimited resources” — as the biggest competition to the Star,” the article states. “He raised the model of the BBC — the British public broadcaster, which does not accept advertising.”

Hmm, wasn’t the Star one of the biggest boosters of restoring funding to the CBC? And didn't they go after the Toronto Sun when it launched a war on the broadcaster a few years ago? But now they’re complaining about the Corp. accepting ads that Honderich appears to surmise are being kept from his own publication. Seems to me you can’t have it both ways and to use a mixed animal metaphor, ‘what’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander – unless it’s your ox being gored.”

Then there’s the case of a story on the CTV news site. On Thursday, the CRTC issued the results of a major study about Canadian ISPs actually exceeding advertised speeds. I’m not entirely sure I trust the results, but the story is outlined in full in the pages of the Financial Post, which lists all the providers that were tested, from Bell and Rogers to Telus, along with other big names.

But you won’t find that list in the CTV story. Instead it focuses solely and only on its own service, touting the headline, "CRTC report says Bell Fibe offers better than advertised download speeds." The story goes on to relate how wonderful Fibe is but mentions nothing else about any other competitor. It’s not surprising or even wrong that it would blow its own horn, but where – as the late Paul Harvey used to say – is the rest of the story? To read this thing, you would think only Bell Fibe was tested and only Fibe got such wonderful results. It's more of an ad than anything else. But it's also listed as a news story and that's where the problem lies.  

All in all, not a good day for journalism and a chance to watch hypocrisy in action from two of Canada’s biggest news suppliers.

Last edited by RadioActive (September 30, 2016 9:35 am)

September 30, 2016 8:59 am  #2

Re: The Star Blames CBC For Its Declines While Bell Slants CRTC Story

RadioActive wrote:

On Thursday, the CRTC issued the results of a major study about Canadian ISPs actually exceeding advertised speeds. I’m not entirely sure I trust the results, but the story is outlined in full in the pages of the Financial Post, which lists all the providers that were tested, from Bell and Rogers to Telus, along with other big names.

Can only vouch for Rogers.  

I've been a Sam Knows subscriber since it was introduced by Rogers about 4 or 5 years ago, long before the CRTC jumped on the bandwagon.   I have consistently, month after month, every single month achieved substantially better speed U/D than I was paying for.  To a point where I asked someone at Rogers who would know if the SK Accounts were flagged for some type of higher priority delivery.  She said they aren't, and as I said, she'd know. (And yes, she would have told me if they were )

The bait for me with sam knows was the offer of unlimited bandwidth if I signed up.  They wanted me to use as much as possible so that they'd get measurements in high stress situations, not just regular 'use'.   I put that to the test.  .

You get a monthly report detailing all aspects of your connection, downstream & upstream throughput, latency & packet loss.   I initially thought this was going to be a risky game for Rogers, since the results are tabulated and distributed by SK.  They lived up to the hype, and still do.  The report is accurate to the point where I can see on the graph where I un-plugged my modem to move furniture around in the office.

I know it's par for the course 'round these parts, shitting from on high on Bell, Corus, Rogers, etc. etc. but it's good, in this case, to have actual quantifiable data to show people who spout off.

My 2c.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 30, 2016 9:32 am  #3

Many years ago, I had Bell as my ISP. When one of their own techs told me the company wasn't providing the speeds they advertised - and I was paying a premium for - they refused to address it, provide a refund or even try to make it right. I left them soon after for better speeds and cheaper rates, and have never looked back. So you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical about any claims that might be made on their behalf. 

None of which detracts from the original point of the post, which is that the Star is being somewhat hypocritical in complaining about the CBC as a competitor while at the same time supporting more funding for it. Or that Bell slanted a story on the CRTC study by simply leaving out a mention of anyone else. 

September 30, 2016 9:37 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

you'll forgive me if I'm skeptical about any claims that might be made on their behalf.  

Understand completely, but this is more of a Price Waterhouse situation than the TTC union hiring a company to do their 'polling' .  From what I've read, the SK folks are completely independent and report what they get.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

September 30, 2016 11:39 am  #5

If Grilled Cheese was around, he'd probably react with "F.T.G."